January 14, 2009

DIY: Sublime Stitching

For bridesmaids' gifts, I wanted to include something handmade by me to let my girls know that I appreciate their friendship beyond the boundaries of money. I ended up missing the deadline of the wedding with everything going on, but I "gave" them as Christmas gifts. ("Gave" because I still have some work to do on them, but generally presented the idea at Christmas.)

My mom taught me how to sew when I was just a little kid, and I used to do cross-stitch samples of kitties or butterflies or Christmas designs to give my grandmothers as gifts. But the idea of stitching that kind of stuff now just doesn't appeal to me. I don't really want to frame seashells and hang them in my bathroom, you know? Just not my style.

I can't remember how I found out about Sublime Stitching, but as soon as I saw Jenny's designs and those of her guest artists (like Mitch O'Connell, whose bad girl designs I used for Lea's gift), I knew I had to do something with them. How badass is it to stitch skulls and sexy ladies and luchadors (right? lucha libre?) on stuff?

There are some new designs since I last visited... I MUST find a reason to use these vital organs!

No comments:

Post a Comment